Friday, May 3, 2013

St. Clement Vineyards, March 1, 2013


www.stclement.com

I was already in Napa Valley working my way through my planned four wineries when I received a message from my wine buddy asking me to stop by St. Clement and see if a certain wine was available there.  It wasn’t, but I was not about to waste a visit here.  Having once been a wine club member here, I was quite familiar with their past vintages, but this would be a good opportunity to taste their current vintages.  The staff member had been working at St. Clement for so long that she actually recognized me from when I was a member.  (This, as I recall, was one of the points that made me feel so welcome at St. Clement.)
Saint Clement's old farm house tasting room

I was curious to try the 2010 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, as I have only tried a couple of 2010 red wines so far.  The wine has a flavor profile that is turning out to be vintage typical, namely dark fruits, smoky minerals, and a subtle tar or tobacco influence.  I was reluctant to try additional wines because I had one more winery to visit, but was convinced to sample the 2009 Star Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon, a single-vineyard Cabernet from Rutherford.  This wine is delivering the same consistency that its previous vintages have delivered.  (I have experienced the 2004, 2005, and 2007).  Given a few years in the cellar, this wine will be terrific.

A full review was written already about Saint Clement Vineyards during my visit on May 12th, 2012.


No comments:

Post a Comment