Monday, May 27, 2013

April 28, 2013 – Wine: 2008 Elizabeth Spencer Cabernet Sauvignon

I recall tasting this at the winery and being sufficiently impressed by it to hunt down a half-case of half-bottles.  My friend’s wife decided this Cabernet was one of her favorites after tasting it soon thereafter.  That was back in July 2011.  The first bottle that I opened was in November 2011.  The wine had entered a shut-down stage of life (similar to the 2008 Clos du Val Cabernet).  It was well balanced, but lacking what originally drew me to this wine.  After observing the 2008 Clos du Val’s performance, I had hopes that this wine would have awakened.  Alas, I caught this wine too early … it is still waking up.  While not as locked down as before and suggesting the promise of something magical to come, this wine is in an earthy state right now.  I noted flavors of tobacco, black currants, sweet black prunes, leather, and minerals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment