Wednesday, May 22, 2013

April 24, 2013 – Wine: 2005 Provenance Rutherford Cabernet Sauvignon

I have certainly enjoyed watching this wine evolve as I have opened about 15 half-bottles of the 2005 Provenance Cabernet.  When it was young, this wine suggested the promise of its vintage.  But then the fruit shut down for a few years, allowing the vintage’s mineral and coffee notes to dominate the palette.  Finally the fruits have awakened and wow!  (At least for the first 90 minutes … wow!)  This wine needs to breathe about 90 minutes to let the components come into balance, but then enjoy it quickly.  I noted that after a little more than two hours the wow!-factor had diminished as perfect balance ensued.  Until then, the red fruits exhibited by this wine were delightful, featuring cranberry, cherry, red currants, leather, mint, and well-controlled minerals.  I have one full bottle waiting that I will likely open next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment