Saturday, July 6, 2013

June 16, 2013 – Wine: 2005 Shafer Merlot

It is always hardest to open the last bottle of any wine … even more so when the wine has been so consistently special.  And like a child that grows up, this wine’s character has evolved.  When I first tasted this wine at the Shafer’s tasting room, this wine was my favorite of the flight (excluding the special pour of 1995 Hillside Select) for its red fruits.  So, I bought five half bottles to enjoy.  Through 2010, this wine showed delicious red fruits with a clean juiciness to the acidity, the hallmarks of the 2005 vintage.  By 2012, the red fruits were playing second string to such flavors as leather and dark chocolate.  This time, the wine was truly remarkable, starting off with unsweetened chocolate, followed by mineral notes, blackberry, black cherry, and leather.  These flavors were delivered with great balance and an interesting spiciness.  As I lament exhausting my supply of the 2005 Merlot, I can only find solace in the 2007’s that await my attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment