Tuesday, July 2, 2013

May 27, 2013 – Wine: 2006 Ridge Geyserville

I have always enjoyed a well-made Zinfandel, and Ridge makes some of my favorites.  I have always enjoyed the Ridge Geyserville for its balance, depth, and richness.  (For elegance, I turn to Ridge’s York Creek.)  Just as the 2006 cabernets were starting to let me down, along come the 2006 Zinfandels to fill the void.  This 2006 Geyserville was impressive in its youth and offered a promise of something greater in the future.  Five years later I have opened my third half-bottle and am enjoying it as much as when it was young.  All of the dark fruits deliver at once, with the dark cherry flavors persisting into the finish.  There are plenty of minerals, notes of leather and black licorice, but all is kept in good balance.  I uncorked this half-bottle on Thursday and had to return my glass to the bottle as my body was not accepting the wine gracefully.  Having stored it corked in the refrigerator until this afternoon (four days), it has held up surprisingly well.

No comments:

Post a Comment