Tuesday, July 9, 2013

June 17, 2013 – A Pair of Magnificent 2002 Reds

It was my turn to pick some wine for dinner, so I selected two half-bottles of 2002 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon blends to compare over dinner.  Ever mindful of my experience with the 2001’s in half bottles (they all seemed to peak about two years ago), I have been eager to work my way through my half-bottles of 2002’s to be sure I don’t miss out on any of them.  As it turns out, both wines tonight could have continued their slumber for another two years easily, with the Lail capable of five or more years.
2002 Opus One and 2002 Lail J. Daniel Cuvee

2002 Opus One

I “forced” this bottle on a dear friend of mine who has attitude about things that are contrived or faked.  (Disneyland and the Opus One tasting room come to mind.)  Of course, I remember being struck by how deftly made this wine was when I first tasted it at the Opus One winery, so much so that I sought out a half-bottle of it.  (That was where my budget ended back then.)  Having opened and thoroughly enjoyed a 2001 Opus One two years ago, I was confident that this bottle would please.  Never have I witnessed the competing emotions of disdain and desire in conflict to the extent my friend exhibited, as the wine was undeniably superb.  Ultimately, he was forced to relent that this was an incredible wine, with balance, elegance, restrained power, and a beautiful nose.  The palette featured blackberry, black cherry, red roses, dark chocolate, leather, and wonderfully controlled minerals, finishing with a fascinating texture at the back of the mid-palette.

2002 Lail Vineyards J. Daniel Cuvee

In stark contrast to the Opus One’s restrained power, the Lail Vineyards J. Daniel Cuvee came on full throttle, offering no apologies nor causing any discomfort or pain.  I first discovered the J Daniel Cuvee in a tasting line-up of 2007 Napa Cabernets.  The wine offered restraint, purity, and elegance in stark contrast to the other 2007’s.  That tasting sent me on a quest to acquire a few more bottles, including this lone 2002.  My first impression of this wine tonight was that its  grapes harkened from Howell Mountain and Rutherford (currants and chalky tannins), but I was half wrong – not Rutherford but its neighbor, Oakville.  The wine offered up flavors of dark chocolate, red currants, leather, caramel, and minerals, with notes of cinnamon emerging after two hours.  Both powerful and elegant, this wine was my friend’s favorite, while I had a very slight preference for the style of the Opus One, though picking the “best” wine would be pointless as they are each great wines in their own right.

No comments:

Post a Comment