Sunday, July 21, 2013

June 25, 2013 – Wine: 2007 Bell Cellars Canterbury Syrah

After tasting so many gamy, meaty Syrahs, I thought I would never find one to my liking.  Luckily I kept looking.  I have since uncovered a number of very nice Syrahs, including those from August Briggs, Saint Clement, Turnbull, Rodney Strong, and Landmark.  But it was Bell that first showed me that there are indeed Syrahs that I can enjoy.  I have enjoyed all of Bell’s Syrahs over the vintages.  This was the last of my half bottles of Bell Syrah that I had been holding onto since 2009.  The wine needed about 45 minutes to settle into its best form, but it did so quite nicely.  The wine was well balanced with a persistent finish.  On the palette I noted white pepper, tea, red cherry, unsweetened chocolate, and minerals.  This wine turns out to be a great value for the quality delivered.

No comments:

Post a Comment