Sunday, January 19, 2014

December 26, 2013 – Wine: 2004 Saint Clement Armstrong Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon

I have not been the biggest fan of Diamond Mountain Cabernets, at least not when young.  And this wine failed to impress me when it was young.  Indeed, the wine press agreed with me, rating this bottle 90 points; not bad for any wine, but for a wine costing as much as this does, the rating (and the wine) was a letdown.   Each vintage is different of course, and last year the 2003 performed remarkably at the Christmas table, so I maintained hope for this bottle.  This time the wine won me over – not quite as much as the 2003, but still enough to impress me.  The wine offers up great balance, terrific structure, and a sense of restrained power.  On the palette I noted pomegranate, cranberry, tea, leather, and mineral.

No comments:

Post a Comment