Sunday, January 26, 2014

January 2, 2014 – Wines: Two 2005 Napa Valley Cabernets

On New Years Day and the day after, I opened two half-bottles of 2005 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon blends.  Each was one of my favorites from the vintage for its beautiful fruit.  One I liked for its richness, the other for its lush fruit and attractive pricing.  Both, however, are starting to shut down, which is a little disappointing for me.  Alas, that is the cycle of a wine’s life.  This reminds me of some sage advice for wine-cellaring fools such as myself: if you really enjoy how a wine is drinking today, then drink it up.  Holding onto a wine will help you learn how it evolves, but drinking the wine when you enjoy it is probably the best strategy.

2005 Miner Family Oracle Proprietary Red

This wine has been one of my favorites since I first discovered the 2003 vintage.  (I later enjoyed the 2001 and 2002.)  This wine always brings power and subtle richness to the table with impeccable balance.  The 2005 vintage added wonderful red fruits in its youth.  Sadly, those red currants and cranberries are now buried beneath the flavors of red plums, pomegranate, and minerals that are more prominent now.  Still, what remains is immensely pleasing.

2005 Meyer Vineyards Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

This wine was so impressive that I ultimately acquired about two cases (of half-bottles).  This wine was the one I held up as the example of the vintage’s best.  Priced just under most of the better Napa Valley Cabernets (about $45), it rewarded with tremendous quality and great fruit.  Always well balanced, this wine was lush with red fruits featured prominently, albeit far from rich like the more expensive wines.  Tonight, the lush red fruits are waning, replaced by leather, mint, pomegranate, cranberry, and mineral.

No comments:

Post a Comment