Sunday, January 12, 2014

Provenance Vineyards, November 25, 2013

www.provenancevineyards.com

My tasting buddy wanted to finish up our trip at Provenance.  I also had a selection of wines to be picked up, so both our goals lined up.  I also wanted to taste the 2010 Hewitt before it disappeared.  It seems that Wine Spectator magazine had just given it a score of 95 points and ranked it the number four wine on its list of top 100 wines for 2013.  The score alone is impressive, but the ranking is a phenomenal accomplishment.  I have long said that the Hewitt Cabernet is my favorite Cabernet (for the price) to come out of Napa Valley.  Of course, all of this acclaim will kill the affordability of my favorite wine.  Thanks a lot Wine Spectator!  (Well, Tom Rinaldi and crew do deserve it.)

I started my tasting off with the 2012 Estate Sauvignon Blanc, which I use as my benchmark for other Sauvignon Blancs from the valley.  While not light and crisp, this wine is balanced, slightly sweet on the finish (albeit completely dry), and with a touch of richness that makes this wine enjoyable anytime the temperature is above 60 degrees outside (not just when the temperature soars).  It remains my favorite Sauvignon Blanc, and shines just as brilliantly as most other 2012’s.  I then moved onto the reds, comparing the 2009 Three Palms Cabernet Sauvignon to the 2009 To Kalon Cabernet Sauvignon (which was my favorite of the visit).  Lastly, I compared the 2009 and 2010 Hewitt wines side-by-side.  What wine did I pick up an extra bottle of?  The 2012 Estate Sauvignon Blanc.  (If you like this varietal, 2012 is your vintage.)


A full review was written already about Provenance Vineyards during my visit on February 8th, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment