Sunday, March 2, 2014

Silverado Vineyards, January 20, 2014

Winery - 7 / Wines - 6
Range:  1 to 9 (9 is best, 5 is average)
Spectacular, intimate views of Napa Valley.  Cabernet and Sangiovese blends.
www.silveradovineyards.com

The weather this January afternoon was comfortable in the mid-sixties – quite pleasant for mid-January.  I wanted to start my wine-tasting trip today at Silverado Vineyards so I could take in the elevated view of Napa Valley.  Perched atop a small hill, Silverado has ideal vistas of the valley floor overlooking Yountville and Oakville.  The casual wine-tasting atmosphere also fit my schedule, as they offer tasting for walk-in guests without an appointment.  During my last visit here, I tasted the 2006 vintage and was sufficiently impressed with their wines to want to give their new releases a try.  After all, I much prefer the 2009 vintage to the 2006 wines, so I was hoping to be impressed with their wines.
The entrance to Silverado Vineyards tasting room and operations
The winery building was built on a grand scale, which is good because it accommodates a larger number of guests comfortably.  Everything about the tasting experience is set up around the fantastic hilltop view of the valley just below.  The exterior of the winery is nicely done, but there is little that makes it distinct.  Once you walk inside, though, you are exposed to the view through floor-to-ceiling windows lining the entire wall.  In pleasant weather, you are welcome to bring your pours outside to enjoy on the patio, which shares the same view as the tasting room.  The tasting room is done nicely with a large wooden bar running the length of the room, terracotta tiles on the floor, and giant wood beams holding up the roof.  A fireplace at the end of the room provides a little warmth on those days that we are lucky enough to see a little rain.  And the room is furnished with a number of comfortable sitting areas where a small group can enjoy their wines.

Inside the comfortable Silverado Vineyards tasting room
I shared a wine flight with my companion and was able to taste a few additional wines by sharing our pours.  I started out with the 2012 Sauvignon Blanc, followed by the 2010 Fantasia, a Tuscan-styled blend of 60% Sangiovese 40% Cabernet.  Next I moved onto the 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon, the 2009 Claret, the 2010 Mount Richardson Cabernet Sauvignon, and ended with the 2010 Solo proprietary blend.  Of these, we both preferred the Fantasia for is presentation of fruits and its nice balance and depth.
The outdoor tasting patio at Silverado Vineyards is ideal in warmer weather
Based on this experience, I would rate the winery as a 7 and the wines offered as a 6.  This is consistent with my previous visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment