Friday, March 14, 2014

Whitehall Lane Winery & Vineyards, January 20, 2014

Winery - 6 / Wines - 6
Range:  1 to 9 (9 is best, 5 is average)
Good quality for the price.  Cabernet, Merlot, and Sauvignon Blanc.  Half bottles too.
www.whitehalllane.com

It had been too long since my last visit to Whitehall Lane so I decided to pop in to taste their latest efforts.  The last time I visited was back in November of 2008 on a trip when I learned the hard way to count my pours.  On that trip, every winery I visited was pouring something special that the hosts insisted I tried, and Whitehall Lane was featuring their new Pinot Noir.  Needless to say, by the end of the afternoon, I could tell I was drunk and had to sober up in the back seat of my car for several hours before the long drive home.  Now I count every pour and have learned to say no (most of the time).  But today it was time to say yes to a return visit here to see how they are maintaining their position as one of Napa Valley’s better values.
The entry to Whitehall Lane Winery
Located at the southern edge of Saint Helena, just before the northbound traffic backs up, lies the purple and yellow winery building on the west side of the highway.  The exterior colors are anything but garish and lend some nice color to the landscape.  (In fact, the purple color has faded beautifully.)  Dramatic lines accentuate the exterior of the building, adding an interesting front to an otherwise boxy warehouse.  Inside, the tasting room is more interesting.  The centerpiece of your tasting experience is a large window looking into the production area.  The view behind the glass can be busy during harvest or dormant as the wine ages gracefully in barrels and tanks.  The tasting room itself is done in an off-white color on the walls, with rich wood trim on the doors and surrounding the windows.  The tasting bar provides contrast as it is done in a rich charcoal color with a deep green countertop.  Above the cellar-view window, the words “Leonardini Family Vineyards” are boldly displayed in a nod to the winery’s most prized vineyard in Saint Helena.
The tasting counter at Whitehall Lane Winery
During my visit, I tasted through the standard fair of the tasting menu.  A reserve tasting menu is also available.  I started with the 2012 Sauvignon Blanc, which is performing as well as most in the valley.  Next, I worked my way through the red wines, starting with the 2012 Pinot Noir, and followed by the 2010 Merlot, the 2010 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, and the 2009 Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon.  My favorite was the 2010 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon which is performing nicely.


Based on this experience, I would rate the winery as a 6 and the wines offered as a 6.  This is consistent with my previous visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment