Tuesday, May 22, 2012

April 17, 2012 - Wine: 2005 Chateau Clinet Pomerol

Not every wine of mine has a story, but this one does.  In 2008, there was much ado about the 2005 Bordeaux vintage.  And, in 2008, I took an interest in Wine Library TV, hosted by Gary Va-ner-chuck (you had to watch to understand my punctuation).  In one episode, he tasted this 2005 Pomerol and proclaimed its potential.  Naturally, I was curious, scored three half bottles, and tucked them away in the cellar.  Tonight I opened the first bottle (not my first Bordeaux, mind you).  The wine seems to be an expression of balance.  The nose offers plenty of beauty, but not too much.  None of the flavors is an over achiever.  The finish is persistent, but restrained.  The flavors most noticed are tobacco and leather, followed by more subtle notes of red currant and sour cherry.   My notes (probably based on a review) said to hold onto this wine until 2014.  Next time I’ll pay attention to my notes.

2005 Chateau Clinet

No comments:

Post a Comment