Saturday, May 5, 2012

April 8, 2012 – Wine: 2001 Bell Sonnette

Here is a wine that performed spectacularly when it was young.  It had delicious richness, dark fruits, and terrific balance.  When this wine went on sale for over 50% off, I eagerly purchased four bottles.  I was advised that the fruit in the wine was shutting down.  The first bottle possessed a beautiful nose, but the fruit was horribly locked down.  The second bottle I let breathe a very long time, sampling every few hours.  After six hours, the fruit was starting to show.  This time, I let the wine breathe seven hours.  The result was worth the wait.  The wine was wonderfully balanced and smooth, and the fruit was finally coming out, albeit restrained (most notable was the sour cherry).  And the nose was equally beautiful as a few years ago.  I have one more bottle remaining and will open it in another year or two.

2001 Bell Sonnette

No comments:

Post a Comment