Sunday, September 22, 2013

August 10, 2013 – One White, One Red

When asked if I could bring a white for dinner instead of red, I asked “how about one of each?”  I brought two half-bottles, both from the 2007 vintage.  The Chardonnay was ready to be opened, while the Pinot Noir had been a curiosity inspired by a film made several years ago.  Both wines come from California’s central coast, the Chardonnay from Santa Lucia Highlands (south of Salinas) and the Pinot Noir from Santa Barbara County.

2007 Testarossa Castello Chardonnay

This wine is a beautiful golden color in the glass, but I recall it being more pale when I bought it back in 2009.  Once you get past the color, you notice the beautiful bouquet filling the glass.  This wine is far from delicate or light-weight.  It is smooth and balanced, delivering flavors of green apples, under ripe mango, mineral, pears, and a sweet, caramel note on the finish.  I recall tasting this when young and noticing its potential – tonight I got to appreciate that and more.  And for the price, this wine is an amazing deal for the quality it delivers.

2007 Hitching Post Highliner Pinot Noir

Having watched the movie Sideways a few times, you have to wonder about the wine the star chooses to drink when he goes out by himself to the local (Buellton) watering hole.  In this case, he chose the Highliner, a Pinot Noir from Santa Barbara County.  A couple of years back I placed an order for an assortment of wines online and tossed in this bottle to satisfy my curiosity.  While lacking the wow! factor of the Chardonnay, this wine was indeed nice and true to its varietal.  I noticed flavors of blackberry, dark cherry, baking spices, minerals, and plums all delivered with good balance and restraint.

No comments:

Post a Comment