Saturday, September 14, 2013

Gary Farrell Winery, July 5, 2013

www.garyfarrellwinery.com

While traveling in the Russian River area, I had time again for a visit to just one winery.  I know I should branch out and explore more, but when I have time for just one visit, I want a sure thing.  And, the tasting room at Gary Farrell Winery provides a “sure thing” experience.  Of course, another reason to visit is to keep up with the latest vintage of wine and to check out what’s new at the winery.  In this case, the winery has changed its tasting experiences.  In the past, tasters were offered a choice of flights including a standard flight and a reserve flight.  Last year they did away with the standard flight and just have the one.  This year, they added attended outdoor (or indoor at the beautiful cherry-wood tables) tastings for a small premium.  Given the wonderfully warm weather this day, there was plenty of demand for the outdoor tastings, so I opted to taste at the counter inside.  The good news is that inside has nearly the same view of the Russian River valley below as the outdoor tables have.

The handsome cherry tabletop inside Gary Farrell's tasting room
The tasting flight consists of two Chardonnays, two Pinot Noirs, and a Zinfandel.  I started with the 2010 Rochioli-Allen Vineyards Chardonnay followed by the 2010 West Side Farms Chardonnay.  I preferred the sweeter edge of the Rochioli-Allen to the West Side Farms.  Next came the red wines, starting with the 2010 Stiling Pinot Noir, and followed by the 2010 Ramol Pinot Noir.  I was a little uninspired by both, although they were each well made (the Stiling being unusually light bodied).  Then I was offered an off-menu pour of the 2010 Hallberg Pinot Noir, which was bar far my favorite of the day.  (I purchased the 2009 vintage of this wine last year.)  Finally, I tasted the 2010 Bradford Zinfandel, which I gave some serious thought to purchasing.


A full review was written already about Gary Farrell Winery during my visit on July 25th, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment