Monday, November 4, 2013

Corison Winery, September 18, 2013

www.corison.com

I had a wine club pickup at Corison as well, so I decided to stop by and try some wines while I was there.  Unlike the comfy confines of the Freemark Abbey member’s tasting room, the Corison tasting experience puts you right in the middle of their operations.  While the grapes outside were eagerly awaiting harvest, new oak barrels had been delivered to the Corison operations building and were standing there, still wrapped in plastic.  It must be the engineer in me that really appreciates the proximity to the operations and seeing the details of how wine is made.  Corison is a great place to visit just after harvest to witness first-hand the winemaking process.
Brand new wine barrels await final preparations before being filled with the 2013 harvest at Corison.
This wine club shipment featured the newly released 2010 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.  As I usually do, I like to taste the wine before I decide how many bottles to tuck away in my cellar.  Structurally, the 2010 is very similar to the 2009.  Flavor-wise, the 2010 is earthier and suggests dark chocolate, while the 2009 leans more toward ripe berry flavors.  We were also offered a number of other wines to taste, so I selected the 2004 and 2005 Napa Valley Cabernets to taste.  These are two of my favorite vintages from Corison and tasting them is a pleasure.  The 2005 is my favorite of all that I tasted at Corison today.


A full review was written already about Corison Winery during my visit on April 6th, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment