Saturday, November 9, 2013

October 5, 2013 – Wines for a block party

I know … I’m a fast becoming wine snob.  At the block party, my neighbors gracefully offered me a glass of the wine they had brought out to share.  It was a 2011 Forest Glen Merlot, which they bought for under $4.  I tasted it and was surprised that the wine performed better than most of the 2011 red wines I had tried the day before at my favorite wine store, each selling for $15 to $25.  I provided the next bottle (and the two after that) to share the kind of wines that I enjoy.  Of course, I drew from my party wine stack, but even those wines are hand-picked for their quality-to-value delivery.  Each bottle was well received by my neighbors.  Here is what I opened:

2010 Artezin Mendocino Zinfandel: 
This wine has good body and excellent balance, nice structure, and properly restrained Zinfandel appeal.  And at $12 a bottle, I’m wondering why I bought only three.

2009 Provenance Napa Valley Merlot: 
Needless to say, there was no comparison between this wine and the Forest Glen.  This Merlot is structured, complex, ripe, and well composed with a good finish.  The Forest Glen was tasty, balanced, and simple (but nearly elegant).

2009 Savannah-Chanel Santa Lucia Highlands Pinot Noir: 

The poor folks at the winery probably felt this fruit-bomb Pinot Noir would never come around, so they cleared it out at 2/3 the original price.  For $14, this was a fun Pinot Noir in its youth.  Now it is developing some sophistication and the fruit is taking its proper place, which is really making me appreciate having bought a whole case of it.  I’m not yet at the point where I don’t want to share it, but getting close.

No comments:

Post a Comment