Tuesday, April 1, 2014

February 21, 2014 – Wine: 2005 Carter Cellars Revilo Cabernet Sauvignon

Like many wines from the 2005 vintage, I was impressed by this one when it was first released, but after about two years, the wine had shut down so much that I was beginning to feel that I had been taken advantage of (especially at $50 per half-bottle).  So, I followed my own advice and let the remaining half-bottles sit in the cellar untouched.  Tonight I opened the second bottle and was surprised and quite pleased with the results of my patience.  The first bottle was unbalanced and noticeably disintegrated, but tonight the wine was beautifully balanced with resolved tannins and nice presentation of vintage-typical red fruits.  I noted deep flavors cherry, cranberry, pomegranate, leather, and controlled minerals.  I now feel as though I am getting my money’s worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment