Sunday, April 13, 2014

March 1, 2014 – Wine: 2006 Corison Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

Something about the 2006 vintage rubs me the wrong way.  When you read the harvest reports for the vintage, there is much mention about the abundance of winter rains, and the luxurious hang time that the vines experienced.  And yet, there is no mention of the week-long period of 100+ degree (F) temperatures, culminating in three days of 115 degree heat.  (I recall how grateful I was to be invited to Lake Tahoe during those three days where the temperature fluctuated between 77 and 90 degrees.)  Every vintage has its characteristic (2007 was blueberry), and I believe that this heat wave left a steely acidic note in the grapes that many wine makers tried to oak out of the wine.  I tasted this in Pinot Noirs, Cabernets, Merlots, and even some white wines.  (Syrah, Zinfandel, and Sangiovese seemed to fair much better.)  So, I decided to only accept wine-club shipments for that vintage, and I only opted to purchase a handful of 2006’s.  This Corison Cabernet was one of the wines that I opted to acquire a few extra bottles of.  Tonight I am so glad that I did.  This wine has evolved beyond the vintage, with a complex mixture of delicious red fruits including cranberry and black currant, as well as leather, tar, and mineral notes all wonderfully balanced and ever so subtly rich (sans steel).

2006 Corison Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon


No comments:

Post a Comment