Sunday, April 6, 2014

February 27, 2014 – Wine: 2007 Honig Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

This wine fits right in my price sweet-spot.  I regularly open a half-bottle of red wine that costs about $20 or less.  A trusted friend of mine had recommended Honig Cabernet, so I sought out a half-case of half-bottles of the 2007 vintage.  The way that all the 2007’s were turning out, I really couldn’t lose.  At first (in 2011), this wine was jammy, then tannic, then it started to come into balance.  Tonight, though, this wine strutted its stuff like never before, as all the elements came into ideal balance and the tannins had integrated nicely.  The wine has always expressed vintage-typical fruit, and tonight it delivered with flavors of blackberry, blueberry, black licorice, tea, and minerals.  Luckily I managed to save two more to enjoy later this year.  This wine was well-worth the time and the money.

No comments:

Post a Comment