Thursday, June 5, 2014

April 10, 2014 – Wine: 2002 Surh Luctel Cabernet Sauvignon

I was a little disappointed with this wine in the full bottle.  When I last tasted this wine, it was in the half-bottle back in October 2012 and the wine was impressive, both for its structure and complexity.  I was eagerly looking forward to opening another bottle.  This time I opened a full-bottle (750ml).  I found the wine was less interesting than my experience from the half-bottle.  Of course, 18 months have passed between the two tastings, which would lead to softening of the wine to some degree, but I was surprised to find the wine was more muted, more integrated and seemingly less structured and layered.  Perhaps the half-bottle develops a more obvious personality that I find preferable.  This bottle was only disappointing by comparison to the half-bottle earlier, but none-the-less still a quality wine.  I noted flavors of cherry pie, baking spices, pomegranate, and minerals.  I have one bottle of each format remaining in my cellar and I am looking forward to comparing the formats again in two to four years.

No comments:

Post a Comment