Thursday, June 5, 2014

Saint Supery Vineyards & Winery, April 26, 2014

Winery - 7 / Wines - 7
Range:  1 to 9 (9 is best, 5 is average)
Art, view of cellar operations, and patio seating.  Cabernets and interesting whites.
www.stsupery.com

It had been years since my last visit to Saint Supery Winery and I was anxious to return.  Situated right on the main highway running through Rutherford, the winery beckons to me every time I pass by.  A lobster feed at another winery drew me up to Napa Valley this day and I worked a visit into my plans for the day.  And I am glad that I did, since the interior of the winery has undergone a refresh in décor.  The upstairs gallery remains mostly unchanged, except that the wine scent demonstration table is gone.  Downstairs, the floor and walls have all been redone with a more modern look.  The early afternoon weather was glorious (low 70’s) so I enjoyed my tasting outside on the patio adjacent to the tasting room.
The entrance and patio at Saint Supery Winery

The winery operations at Saint Supery are set back a ways from the highway, with ample parking.  From the parking lot, you walk through a large patio area which is dotted with places to sit and talk in the sun.  The exterior of the building has contemporary look, with a mix of stonework and white woodwork, with tall slender columns propping up the roof overhanging the tasting patio.  The tasting patio is flanked by short walls and a raised garden.  Large glass provides unobstructed views both inward and outward.  From inside, the look has been recently updated with applications of rich woodwork on the walls and surrounding the tasting bar which occupies the middle of the room.  The floor is paved with large, rich, putty-colored tiles.  Bottles are displayed along the length of the back wall providing an interesting combination of product and symmetry.  An adjacent room displays more of the product on the walls and provides a more tranquil environment for selecting wines for purchase.  Upstairs, a long, wide hallway is dedicated to displaying artwork.  Midway down the hallway is a door to a catwalk above the cellar operations floor.  From the catwalk you look down upon the many shiny fermenting tanks used to process the wine.
Inside Saint Supery Winery

I opted for the reserve flight of red wines.  My flight started with the 2010 Rutherford Merlot, followed by the 2010 Elu Meritage, which is really tasting nicely right now.  This was followed by the 2009 Dollarhide Petite Verdot, then the 2009 Rutherford Cabernet, and finally the 2009 Dollarhide Cabernet, both of which were delicious.  My favorite wine was the Elu Meritage, as it always has been.  I nearly bought a bottle, but the price was a little steep.

The new foyer at Saint Supery Winery
Based on this experience, I would rate the winery as a 7 and the wines offered as a 7.  This is consistent with my previous visits.

No comments:

Post a Comment