Friday, June 20, 2014

April 12, 2014 – Wine: 2004 Saint Clement Howell Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon

This Cabernet knocked my socks off … again.  I remember when I signed up for the Saint Clement California Collector’s wine club (the first time), I was hoping to get a 2001-2003 vertical of the Howell Mountain Cabernet, but was a little disappointed to find three bottles of the 2004 vintage instead.  I later fell into some real deals on the 2002, and have tasted the 2003, but still missed the 2001.  (I opened a magnum of the 2002 a year ago on my birthday and loved it.)  So, I tucked these three bottles away in the cellar and forgot about them for a while.  I opened the first in December of 2012 and was sufficiently impressed to remain happy with my purchase.  Then I stumbled upon another bottle for 50% off and snatched it up.  But tonight, I had no idea of the delight that was in store for me.  The wine is fantastic, with a potent nose (even with my seasonal allergies) and a palette rich with flavors of blackberry, black cherry, black raspberry, dark chocolate, and minerals.  Now I need to find three good reasons to open the remaining bottles.  (How about … “It’s a sunny day”?)

No comments:

Post a Comment