Friday, February 1, 2013

December 11, 2012 – Wine: 2005 Carter Cellars Coliseum Block Cabernet Sauvignon

I loved all of the 2005 Carter Cellars wines when I tasted them at the winery.  A couple of years back I opened a half-bottle of the 2005 Revilo Cabernet and was a little disappointed – it was disjointed and in need of more time.  Last February I thoroughly enjoyed a half-bottle of the 2005 Merlot.  Last night I was captivated by the 2005 Beckstoffer Cabernet.  So, I thought tonight I would compare the 2005 Coliseum Block Cabernet.  While this wine is still not yet ready, it features a dramatic nose.  The palette was almost Bordeaux-like and offered up flavors of tobacco and leather followed by plum, and cherry.  Though this wine lacks the richness of the Beckstoffer Cabernet, it does offer a promise of terrific balance and a little more elegance.  Overall, this is a very complex wine in need of time in the cellar.

No comments:

Post a Comment