Sunday, February 17, 2013

December 26, 2012 – Wine: 2002 Ridge Home Ranch

This wine was probably the one most responsible for my love-affair with Ridge Winery.  Always delicious, the Ridge Home Ranch (Cabernet/Merlot blend) offers a richness approaching the Monte Bello with younger approachability and priced at half the cost.  Regrettably, my favorite wine at Ridge was only produced in two vintages: 2001 and 2002.  The 2001 vintage matured early, allowing me to thoroughly enjoy that wine while the more tannic 2002 rested.  Now the 2002 is showing its stuff with explosive red fruits of cranberry, cherry pie, currant, leather, and minerals.  I am grateful that this is not my last bottle.  When I heard there would be no 2003 vintage, I began hording the 2001’s and 2002’s.  (I bought two cases each of half bottles.)

2002 Ridge Home Ranch (Meritage)

No comments:

Post a Comment