Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Turnbull Wine Cellars, December 28, 2012

Winery - 6 / Wines - 6
Range:  1 to 9 (9 is best, 5 is average)
Antique Ford Model A and photography exhibit.  Nice Syrahs, Cabernets, and Sauvignon Blanc.
www.turnbullwines.com

I discovered Turnbull’s wines before I discovered their winery.  One day while browsing some half bottles of wine online, I placed an order for two half bottles of Turnbull Sauvignon Blanc.  Thanks to a warehouse worker’s rush to fulfill my order, I was instead shipped Turnbull’s 2003 Cabernet Sauvignon (an understandable mistake) instead.  I decided to repeat the experiment and wound up with the two bottles of Sauvignon Blanc, as expected.  After being impressed by the Cabernet, I decided to pay the winery a visit, and have returned a number of times since.  It had been nearly four years since my last visit and I was eager to return.  So I started my day’s wine tasting by stopping by the Turnbull tasting room in Oakville.

The approach to the Turnbull Tasting Rooms from the parking lot
 There are two distinct, redwood-sided winery operations just off Highway 29.  One is for Cakebread Cellars in Rutherford and the other is for Turnbull Wine Cellars in Oakville, just south of Cakebread.  The Turnbull parking lot ends at a courtyard where a nicely restored Ford Model A pickup rests, for those of us who are motoring fans.  To the left of the truck is the reserve tasting room (not used in the colder weather) and photo gallery.  During my visit, they had a number of photographs by Ansel Adams on display (among other artists), mounted to racks of stacked wine barrels. 

The estate tasting room at Turnbull Wine Cellars
 To the right of the truck is the entrance to the estate tasting room, where reserve tasting is also offered in the colder weather.  This room is where I did my tasting during this visit.  Inside, the tasting room is done in white walls, an earthy green slate floor, and rich woodwork for the built-in wine racks and the L-shaped tasting room counter.  A large Christmas tree dominated the middle of the tasting room floor and was decorated with items offered for sale.  (The tree is seasonal.)  Large French doors open onto a patio and let in an ample supply of indirect light.  Guests can bring their wine out to the patio during the warmer months.

Inside the estate tasting room at Turnbull Wine Cellars
 I had a choice between the Estate and the Reserve tasting menu and opted for the Estate menu, primarily to taste the 2009 Estate Cabernet Sauvignon.  The Estate menu also included a Viognier wine which I opted to skip.  I started my tasting with the 2008 Syrah, followed by the 2009 Estate Cabernet, and the 2008 Petite Sirah.  Finally, in a generous gesture, I was allowed to substitute the 2007 Leopoldina Cabernet Sauvignon into my tasting lineup.  Surprisingly, my favorite wine from the lineup was the Syrah for its rich smoothness and clean fruits.  (But, as I recall, the 2005 Turnbull Syrah was also remarkable and I bought a bottle as a gift.)

Based on this experience, I would rate the winery as a 6 and the wines offered as a 6.  This is consistent with my previous visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment