Wednesday, February 20, 2013

January 2, 2013 – Wine: 2005 Joseph Phelps Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

Having thoroughly enjoyed the 2007 vintage of this wine, I was eager to open my last remaining bottle of the 2005 vintage.  After decanting for about 90 minutes, the wine was nicely balanced and wonderfully smooth, although the fruit has definitely taken a back seat to the mineral and tobacco flavors.  Reviewing my tasting notes from a couple of bottles opened earlier, it seems this mineral development has happened in the last year.  A number of wines from 2005 have disappointed me with their aggressive mineral development, this wine included.  Compared to the 2005 Provenance Cabernet that I opened for Christmas, the restrained fruit was a bit of a letdown.  (This may be due in part to the 375ml bottle format.)

2005 Joseph Phelps Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon


No comments:

Post a Comment