Tuesday, April 23, 2013

April 4, 2013 – Wine: 2000 Ridge Monte Bello

I have to admit … after opening the 2001 Monte Bello, I was curious about the 2000 Monte Bello.  When I first opened a (half) bottle back in 2007, I found that the structure was a little flat.  The wine was wonderfully smooth and balanced with good fruit, but it lacked the structure and power typical of a Monte Bello.  In mid 2010, the wine was doing a little better structure wise.  This time, I wasn’t sure what to expect.  Upon uncorking the wine, it gave off a raspberry nose.  After decanting for an hour, this wine showed much more structure and power than it had previously (more so than the 2001, though not nearly as elegant).  This balanced and complex wine revealed flavors of red cherry, cranberry, pepper, mineral, and leather.  I opened this bottle in honor of my mother’s birthday, and she thoroughly enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment