Sunday, April 7, 2013

March 5, 2013 – Wine: 2005 Etude Heirloom Pinot Noir

I remember first tasting this wine during an intimate tasting seminar at Etude Winery back in 2008 (before they opened their tasting bar).  My French friend with a passion for red Burgundy was with me and we both were impressed by this wine.  I suggested that it had the makings of growing into something fantastic in four years.  Over five years later, we finally opened the one bottle that I bought.  While I expected great things from this wine (well made from a great vintage), I was still surprised by how well this wine delivered.  The wine features good intensity, exquisite balance, near elegance, a good nose, and a persistent finish where a note of richness expresses itself.  I noticed an array of flavors, primarily stones, sour cherry, baking spices, pomegranate, and minerals.  The minerals remained in balance during the two hours that the wine was open.  This wine could have improved in the bottle another three to five years.  Very nicely done.
2005 Etude Heirloom Pinot Noir

No comments:

Post a Comment