Friday, April 26, 2013

Freemark Abbey, March 1, 2013


http://www.freemarkabbey.com/

Wine club pick-ups seemed to set the theme for this trip to Napa Valley.  Three of my four stops were to wineries where I was picking up wine club shipments for myself or for my friend.  Freemark Abbey was no exception.  This was to be my first wine club shipment form Freemark Abbey and I was looking forward to visiting the new tasting room for wine club members.  As I was eagerly walking up the steps to the entry of the members’ tasting room, a staff member gently stopped me and directed my back to the historic tasting room I had experienced during my prior visit.  Alas, the members’ tasting room is closed mid-week during the slow winter months.  I guess I can still look forward to visiting the members’ tasting room when I return in May or June for my next wine club shipment.

Looking up into the old oak at Freemark Abbey winery.
Inside the historic tasting room, I was well tended-to.  I opted to taste four red wines, one of which was just over ten years past its harvest in 2002 (a terrific vintage for Cabernet).  I started with the 2009 Howell Mountain Merlot, followed by the 2002 Sycamore Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon, then the outstanding 2002 Bosch Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon, and lastly the 2009 Zinfandel.  While the 2002 Bosch Vineyard Cabernet was an incredible wine, its library pricing puts it well beyond my financial reach.  Factoring in the price, my favorite wine of the flight was the 2009 Zinfandel.
 

A full review was written already about Freemark Abbey during my visit on December 28th, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment