Friday, April 5, 2013

March 2, 2013 – Wine: 2005 Tor Mast-Cimarossa Cabernet Sauvignon

I have always had an affinity for the 2005 Napa Valley Cabernets, especially those that managed to extract the beautiful red fruits while keeping the coffee and mineral components in check.  This Tor wine was recommended by a dear friend who manages a wine shop in San Francisco.  We were looking at half-bottles in a market in St. Helena when we stumbled upon this and he encouraged me to get one.  That was four years ago.  Having opened this bottle, I’m wishing I had bought two.  The wine features all of the best characteristics of the 2005 vintage, including a plush feel to the tannins, a potent nose, and an intense, well balanced palette of beautiful red fruits like cranberry, red currant, black cherry, fascinating baking spices (reminded me of the 2008 Conn Valley Cabernet, only better integrated), and well-controlled minerals.  And the finish persisted long enough to enjoy this wine slowly.  I’m looking forward to opening a bottle of the 2009 vintage in a couple of years.

2005 Tor Mast-Cimarossa Cabernet Sauvignon


No comments:

Post a Comment