Monday, April 1, 2013

February 23, 2012 – Wine: 2008 Clos Du Val Cabernet Sauvignon

After tasting the 2007 Clos du Val Cabernet Sauvignon at the winery, I sought out a case of half-bottles for my collection.  The price-quality ratio was outstanding, mostly because of its price.  I attempted to order four more and instead was delivered four 2008’s.  I opened one right away to determine whether I wanted more.  My impression last February was that this wine was thin, restrained, off-balance, and lacking any of the qualities that endeared me to the 2007.  So, I let the remaining three bottles rest.  Tonight I opened another.  What a difference a year makes!  This wine has gained body, complexity, some restrained but rich black fruits, like blackberry, sweet black prunes, leather, a hint of smoke, and the balance is remarkable (after an hour’s decant).  Now I’m wishing I had a few more.

No comments:

Post a Comment