Thursday, October 17, 2013

Clos du Val, September 18, 2013

Winery - 6 / Wines - 7
Range:  1 to 9 (9 is best, 5 is average)
Legacy winery in Judgment of Paris.  Cabernets, Merlots, Pinot Noirs, and whites.
www.closduval.com

It had been well over a year since I last visited Clos du Val (they were pouring the 2007 Cabernets then), so I decided it was time to return.  I was treating a good friend to a day trip to Napa Valley and this place served as our starting point.  When we arrived, the tasting room was busy with visitors.  The long tasting bar was occupied, and I was directed to one of a number of free-standing wine barrels set up as additional tasting tables.  This setup was nice because it allowed my friend and me to discuss whatever we wanted (including the wine) with some privacy.  By the time we wrapped up our tasting, the crowd had dwindled to just two or three other small groups and the energy level had dropped.
Entrance to Clos du Val winery
Nestled along the Silverado Trail toward the southern edge of the Stag’s Leap District you’ll find the Clos du Val winery and tasting room.  The tasting room and operations are set back a distance from the road, putting you in the center of the vineyards for your tasting experience.  As you walk into the tasting room, you pass by a number of outdoor tasting tents where a small group of people can reserve a spot at the vineyard’s edge for their tasting experience.  With the spectacular weather we had today, I was almost tempted to do so, but instead continued inside for the tasting room experience.  The exterior of the building is covered in vines (which look like they change color in mid-autumn).  There is a large wooden door welcoming guests indoors.  Inside, one large window admits some natural light, but the room is kept dark by the Burgundy colored paint on the walls.  Cream-colored accent paint highlights the doors, window, and the L-shaped tasting bar.  The tasting bar surface is a soft grey color that works well with the other colors.  The floor is done in a handsome terracotta pattern.  The middle of the room is furnished with four old wine barrels that serve as overflow tasting tables.  Across the tasting room is a double-door with large windows opening onto the operations room where the steel fermenting tanks were likely processing the recently harvested white grapes.
The tasting bar inside Clos du Val winery
There were two tasting flights available.  To experience the broadest selection of wines, my friend and I ordered distinct flights and then shared our pours.  This allowed us to sample a broader cross-section of wines.  I’m glad I did, as I found one of the wines on my friend’s reserve flight worthy of taking home to cellar.  We started with the 2010 Carneros Pinot Noir and the 2010 Petite Verdot, then had the 2010 Napa Valley Merlot and 2010 Reserve Carneros Pinot Noir, then the 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon Stag’s Leap District and the 2009 Yountville State Lane Cabernet Sauvignon, and ended with the 2009 Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon.  As a special request, I was given a pour of the 2010 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.  Of these wines, the 2009 Yountville State Lane Cabernet Sauvignon was by far my favorite for its crisp acidity and ripe fruits, so I bought a bottle to take home.



Based on this experience, I would rate the winery as a 6 and the wines offered as a 7.  This is consistent with my prior visits.

No comments:

Post a Comment