Thursday, October 24, 2013

Waiting for Wine Bought on Futures

A few months ago, I posted about buying wines on futures.  In that article, I talked about some of the reasons you would consider buying domestic wines and import wines using a futures program.  Specifically, buying Bordeaux wines on futures can mean the difference between getting the wines and missing out on the vintage.  It can also mean the difference between being able to afford wines in a good vintage or not.  Of course, buying wines on futures has one noticeable drawback: it requires patience.

I bought 2009 Bordeaux wine futures from three different wine retailers in my area.  One giant has a prominent internet presence, while the other two are smaller operations.  All of my purchases were for half-bottles.  While browsing another site that specializes in half-bottles, I noticed the same 2009 wine for sale that I had ordered from one shop in San Francisco.  When I called to see if my order had arrived, they assured me that it would arrive in the next month.  I waited and it arrived as anticipated.  The same wine (in the same format) sent to different vendors arrived months apart.  Across the bay in Oakland, where I have placed far more futures orders, all but one of my 2009 futures have arrived and been picked up.  In fact, all but one of my 2010 futures have arrived and been picked up.  When I asked about the remaining two wines, I was given exact dates for their anticipated arrivals (both should be in by the New Year).  That leaves one last order from a shop in Berkeley.  Every time I have asked about the delivery date for my 2009 Bordeaux wines, it got pushed out further.  I was originally told in the spring, then the summer, and now the delivery date is sometime in December.  (I will be notified via e-mail when my shipment arrives.)  So, all I can do now is wait.

Americans have been associated with being an instant gratification culture, and when I consider my impatience with the arrival of these wines, I have to wonder if that is not part of what is causing my angst.  On the other hand, there is a great deal of inconsistency of the arrival dates for wines being shipped across the globe.  Much of it depends upon the retailer and the wholesalers they work with.  Of course, I have to remind myself that even if these wines arrive tomorrow, I still won’t be uncorking any of them before 2016.  So, even though I know there is no rush, I’m the type of person that just likes to know.  Are they here yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment