Sunday, October 27, 2013

September 21, 2013 – Wine: 2007 Wind Racer Russian River Pinot Noir

I spotted this bottle sitting on a clearance table at my favorite wine store, and my mind began to wonder.  It was a 2007, which was the same year as the fantastic Gary Farrell I opened recently.  It is also from the same Russian River area and originally priced slightly higher.  This wine was nearly 30% off and that was enough to convince me to give it a try.  Tonight I uncorked it.  The first impression of this wine is vintage-typical.  The flavors included blueberry, cranberry, baking spices, and very subtle mineral, all delivered with incredible smoothness.  But the wine lacked the acidity that typifies a delicious Pinot Noir … until the wine had been open about two-and-a-half hours.  Then the acidity emerged above the smooth fruits bringing the balance needed to make this a wonderful Pinot Noir.  If you have a bottle of this waiting to be opened, be sure to let it breathe two-and-a-half hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment