Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Hess Collection Winery, August 14, 2013

www.hesscollection.com

I was entertaining company and wanted to visit a winery that offers an impressive entrance, intimate tasting, and well-made wines at a reasonable price.  That, and I just wanted to go back to Hess Collection again.  I really enjoy the gently winding road through the redwoods that takes you to Hess.  While Napa Valley is itself an escape from the urban madness, Hess is a mountainside escape from Napa Valley in its own right.  Built with an eye for art, you will find art installations nearly everywhere you look.  But the art I wanted to see was the barrel room.  The smell of the wine soaking into the oak and the symmetry of the barrels stacked up appeals to me.
The barrel room at Hess Collection winery

On this visit I selected four red wines to try.  I started with the 2011 Artizin Zinfandel, which seems a little riper than most 2011 reds.  Next I tried the 2011 Artizin Petite Sirah, followed by the 2009 Hess Collection Block 19 Cuvee (a claret/meritage bland), and ended with the 2010 Hess Collection Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon.  Of these, my favorite was the 2009 Block 19 Cuvee for its ripeness and balance.

A full review was written already about Hess Collection during my visit on May 12th, 2012.


No comments:

Post a Comment