Friday, October 11, 2013

Elizabeth Spencer, August 14, 2013

www.elizabethspencerwines.com

I was entertaining guests who hadn’t been to Napa Valley in a while, so I decided to enjoy the perfect August afternoon weather outdoors on the Elizabeth Spencer patio.  The weather was perfectly warm, but not hot.  And I was curious to taste their 2012 Sauvignon Blanc.  (So many of the 2012 Sauvignon Blancs from Napa Valley are turning out to be amazing wines.)  And what wine would pair better with this glorious weather than a crisp Sauvignon Blanc.  As it turned out, my coworker had some wines to be picked up for his wine club, so I brought those bottles home for him, saving him a trip.
The patio at Elizabeth Spencer Winery
For my flight, I selected four wines.  I started with the 2012 Mendocino Sauvignon Blanc, which was perfectly light.  Next I tried the 2011 Zinfandel, which like most 2011 reds, seems to be lacking in ripeness.  Third was the 2009 Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvinon, which has delicious fruits but tannins that will need more than five years to resolve.  I ended with my favorite, the 2009 Napa Valley Special Cuvee, which is better balanced than the Mount Veeder Cabernet right now.  This was my favorite wine of the flight.


A full review was written already about Elizabeth Spencer Wines during my visit on November 2nd, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment